About a week ago

Guess who's got two thumbs and has no idea how to make a timely blog post?

After a super, stellar ride on Wednesday, I went into my lesson on Thursday feeling pretty confident. Wednesday was the first time my trainer has actually seen me on Roman since the first lesson a couple weeks ago. What a change, lol.

Going places
The very basics are definitely there. She had a lot of nice things to say about the elements that we've actually worked on. She's also happy to let him be more sticky at the start of the ride, but I'll have some more on that later. Rail work and circles are both looking and feeling pretty good, and the trot overall continues to get more consistent.

Our hardest point was actually the serpentine, which pisses me off BECAUSE HE WAS SO GOOD WHEN WE DID IT OVER THE WINTER LIKE C'MON HORSE ARE YOU THAT OUT OF SHAPE. But anyways, I'm just confused as heck about changing rein and getting the new outside rein and it's hard and Dressage is dumb and who needs it anyways. Usually I'm just hanging onto my inside rein around the arc, then when I want to change directions, he's just hanging back and leaning on my outside leg, meaning that once the direction changes and the cues switch, he's most certainly not travelling inside leg to outside rein. Then I have to think about all those little nuances on top of trying to keep him soft and as straight as a greenie can be.

Even the ears are unbalanced
Canter actually wasn't bad at all. It was more than I usually do on my own. Biggest issues were dropping the outside shoulder and inconsistent pace as well as my chicken arms. Tbh, I can fix the last two, but dropping the outside shoulder??? I just, don't get it. In my head it makes sense, but I don't know if I'm actually thinking of the correct thing here? And how do you fix that??

This is all too much.

Comments

  1. GAH shoulders are the WORST lol. I have had many trainers tell my I drop one shoulder or the other, and I have a hard time "getting" it. I finally realized that I actually think it stems from dropping my hip, which in turn causes my shoulder to dip. Once I started concentrating on keeping my hips more square, and weight evenly distributed on my seat bones, it seemed to help with the shoulder evenness as well! -0Kelly @Hunky Hanoverian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Control the shoulder, Control the world

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Kids Are Alright: Interview with Jill Treece

Unspoken Rules of the Hunter Ring